Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rome Paintings

Getting back to my roots... illustration. These are all based of statues I drew in museums in and around Rome. Enjoy...




"Hermes"
Oil-Based Sharpie on Found Panel
3' 5.5" x 2' 5.5"

I once dressed up as Hermes in Elementary School and have always loved Mercury dimes so when I saw this statue I had to draw it.



"Mary"
Oil-Based Sharpie on Found Panel
3' 5.5" x 2' 5.5"

This was my first reversion back to my old thick lined style. I think I might try to do some wood cuts when iI get back to RISD.


"The Goddess of Earth"
Oil-based Sharpie on Found Panel
6' 7" x 2' 7"

This and all of the other 2d works came directly from my sketchbook. I really care about this drawing because it was the first time in my new sketchbook that I put a classical sculpture through my mental filter as opposed to just "taking a picture of it" with my pen.

Interesting side note: the circles in the middle of the figure are not breasts but dozens of bull testicles...who knew?


"Mechanical Bust"
Oil-Based Sharpie on Found Panel
6' 7" x 2' 7"

We visited a museum here in Rome that showed classical sculpture along side industrial era machinery. Many are extremely opposed to this curatorial decision but I thought it was a wonderful combination.



"The Mother"
Oil-Based Sharpie on Found Panel
6' 7" x 2' 7"

I love the panel this drawing is on. I feel like I am a bit tortured because I honestly believe that art is everything and everything is art. It is really just up to an "artist" to claim it as so. I see "art" everywhere. I almost didn't want to draw on this panel and just hang it as it was.




These were a lot more powerful when I got them up on pedestals. They also begged to be leaned as opposed to hung.

1 comment:

  1. yes indeed, Art is everything and everything is art - i love the power of these leaning figures. and the creatures as well - I remember when you first started to draw your creatures and now they continue to evolve into new mediums.

    ReplyDelete