Thursday, April 23, 2009

Throw Back Kinetic Creature



I decided to post a couple pictures of one my pieces from earlier in the year because it was so related to the symbiotic work I just finished. This guy had what I believe was some kind of industrial punching machine's motor which I mounted inside a custom steel frame. The punching machine triggered a drill motor that spun a log at the front interior of the creature. The modified machine made the whole piece scoot around. I built it with only two legs so it was in a constant struggle to walk. The motion could be compared to that of a dying frog. I made a little log foot peddle that controlled the hopping. In my opinion the best part of this work was the cracking and snapping noises produced with each hop and the slight trail of debris it left behind as it moved around the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment