Monday, January 11, 2010

Grandpa's First Humping Machine





So this is my kinetics final. Kinetics are great but an absolute pain. Not only am I concerned with generating visual interest with my kinetic work...but also with simply making the thing work. With that said I might have to label this sculpture as one of my must frustrating pieces made to date.

When the pillow is pushed inward it turns off the light switch. Simultaneously a series of hinged arms bend the duck's head downward. When the head bows, it pulls fishing line connected to the ends of the wings. This causes the wings to flap. The whole piece is tensioned with springs which returns everything to its original position.

Materials are found wooden duck, box, palettes, burlap, charcoal powder, paint, lamp arm, plastic, light, springs, steel and a pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment